Good afternoon. How was your weekend? What have you been up to today?
This was like a three-day weekend for me since E was home. Friday and Saturday I had myself focus on my swap partner’s gifts. This year, since I didn’t participate in the usual swaps, I signed up for the 2017 Mini Advent Swap in Knit Equals Joy. In the beginning it felt intimidating to have joined because there are five, required gifts. I plan on making all five of them which had worried me because many have hinted at how they’ve found cool items at so-and-so store or at some festival. But with support from the group and once I got started I feel better. I finished the first item which required a lot of hand sewing but the FO is kawaii enough that the teen wanted it! I skipped the second day’s theme to the third and finished the item last night, but I feel I need to add a little something to it.
Sunday seems to be my sewing day as I told myself I would make time to sew today. So guess what?! I have an FO to show you. I present to you…My first zipper pouch! ✧٩(•́⌄•́๑) The pouch’s dimensions are 9 and ½” tall by 12 and ½” wide.
I followed Dana of MADE EVERYDAY’s tutorial on zipper pouches, using my own dimensions. The fabric is from JOANN Fabrics and Crafts. I kept seeing everyone flash their Halloween project bags on IG so I told myself I would make one for myself which would also teach me how to sew with a zipper.
(If you follow this tutorial, please read what I’ve learned as I’m a total beginning rookie.)
- Sun Yellow 12″ zipper
- 1/3 yard Halloween fabric
- 1/3 yard heavy, quilting cotton in neon green
- 1/3 yard Pellon 950F ShirTailor
- black thread
It’s not perfect.
- I had tried to box the bottom but I didn’t do it right because I was lazy to make and to use a 1″ square. However, I kind of got rounded edges as a result.
- I was unsure of how close to sew to the zipper. I at first sewed between 3/8″ & ½” but I was 1/8 of an inch from the zipper’s teeth! So I ripped out the seam and sewed ¼”. I found this seam allowance to be a bit tricky though because since I used a zipper foot, the tiny edge of fabric would go a bit awry; this is the first side that is farther away from the teeth. The other side went much better as I firmly stayed on top of how the material ran through my machine; this is the side closer to the zipper teeth.
- My lining is a bit baggy inside.
- I looked at other blog tutorials and saw some had sewn a whole seam down the bottom of the lining instead of just closing up the gap like how Dana did. So I did that although I’m not sure about how it looks. Maybe I have doubts because the black thread is more noticeable against the neon green.
What I Learned
- I learned that a zipper’s length is from where the zipper’s teeth start and finish. I thought a 12″ zipper would require 12″ long pieces of material but the zipper from end to end was 13 and ¾” long. Material should generally match the length of the zipper although others have done it differently.
- I will need more interfacing next time. The light interfacing I had cut was only 12″ wide by 20″ which I think was 1/3 of a yard. So what I did was cut the interfacing in half and ironed it onto the backsides of the printed fabric. I then cut each piece of interfaced, Halloween material 13 and ¾” long by 10″ tall. Therefore, the vertical, short edges of each rectangle wasn’t covered by interfacing which I figured was okay since those would go into the ½” seam allowances.
- Be more aware and on top of the sewing of the lining. My tote bags never had baggy lining.
- And use a square to box bottom the pouch.
All in all, I’m pleased with how this pouch came out. I’ll probably use it for knitting socks. I can’t wait to make more! (୨୧ ❛ᴗ❛)✧ Yay for getting my feet wet with zipper sewing! And oh boy, woo hoo for ╭(♡･ㅂ･)و ̑̑ graduating from tote bag sewing!
Enjoy the rest of your Sunday. Thank you for dropping by. TTYL.