Hello. I haven’t been able to concentrate on much and have been loopy for days because the pollen around here have been ruthless. I finally decided to hypothesize that the Costco Zyrtec wasn’t working for me anymore and that I was immune to it. So I went to Target to its allergy medicine aisle; oh goodness the stock was practically annihilated! There were so many empty spaces. I ended up choosing to try out Target’s version of Allegra. There is a noticeable decrease in my suffering but I do have itchy eyes sometimes; I’ve been rinsing them out when necessary.
Last Sunday I finally carved out time for sewing. I disappointingly didn’t get to it during the week. But today, I worked on finishing it and now I’m able to show off my finished results!
The tween, Jellybean, and I have handcrafted Christmas stockings. The husband has had a store chain one for years now. I’ve always felt bad about that. After hearing Candace of the Pinfeathers and Purls podcast talk about her quilt sewing, I was inspired to get my butt goin’ on my first, big girl, sewing project!
I originally intended to use this Simplicity tutorial to make my honey a Superman stocking. However, when I went to Joann Fabric I didn’t like what it had of Superman. Therefore, I bought this Star Wars fabric of a U-Wing fighter that was in Rogue One. Oh boy, you should have seen me, a total newbie; I was all Googling grain line and selvage because I wanted to make sure the Simplicity pattern #1577 would work with the print’s direction.
The pattern has you use the same fabric for the inside but I got cotton fabric in this orange to match the print’s orange. You see above a close up of the print and how the inside looks.
Last Sunday I got up to the cuff pieces. I messed up and sewed them backwards because I didn’t pay attention to the fabric key. I mixed up the pattern key with the fabric key. Ripping out small stitches was like facing a huge mountain to climb but I luckily found a tutorial on how to rip out seams fast with the seam ripper! So that was taken care of then.
Today I was feeling timid about putting the cuff together because the fabric is thicker with the interfacing. But I was able to do it. Basting made me scratch my head a bit because I know you could do it by hand or by machine. Hand seemed easier for my beginner self. I didn’t like how the edges were lined up together while freestyling the basting so I pulled it out, pinned the unsewn cuff edges first, and then hand basted it. I even redid the basting of the stocking pieces before sewing them all together. Oh boy was I sweatin’ sewing all the layers together (All four layers of fabric together created an even thicker fabric.) but I took my time. I use washi tape to guide my fabric so I have straighter seams; it helps immensely.
Boy oh boy I am all chuffed about this finish! I can’t believe I did it! Now my husband’s Star Wars Christmas stocking is in the Christmas decorations bin, waiting to be hung and used in December. I’m already rubbing my hands in glee in planning my next sewing project! Enjoy the rest of your Saturday. TTYL!